In a world of Botox, fillers, FaceTune, and Instagram filters, many are left feeling self-conscious about their natural appearance. We’re here to tell you that the power to radiate natural beauty is alive and well, and to prove it we are providing our favorite ways to enhance your beauty at home!
Your Skin: A Look Inside
Our skin is called a mirror, because the appearance of our skin often reflects the health of our insides. If the liver, kidneys, lymphatic system and lungs are overloaded, your skin will start to reflect it. If you’re experiencing skin issues like acne, eczema or psoriasis, it might mean that your body is struggling to deal with toxins through its normal modes of detoxification. (Check out our post on Chinese Face Mapping if you're interested in learning which parts of the face correlate with specific organ issues.) To improve the quality of your skin, you can focus on minimizing your toxic load and supporting your body’s natural detoxification system.
Modes of Detoxification
- Exercise: What is the most notorious method of detoxification our bodies are designed to do? Sweat! When you work up a sweat, you release a whole bunch of toxins. (1)
- Drink Water: Water benefits your skin in two large ways. Drinking at least 8 cups of water per day helps your body’s natural detoxification pathways, and also has proven benefits for your skin! (2) Studies also show that the quality of the water you drink matters. Whenever possible, choose spring water or mineral water, and remember to never drink out of plastic bottles. (3)
- Avoid Environmental Toxins: You may not realize that the household products you use contain harmful chemicals that are hazardous to your health. Air fresheners, nonstick pans, fabric softener, tile cleaner… check the ingredients of the products you buy. You may be surprised to see what’s hiding in commercial cleaners and household items!
- Optimize Your Diet: We have written about the importance of the food you eat in previous articles. To summarize:
- Always buy organic. The pesticides sprayed on conventional produce are laden with harsh chemicals. The appearance of your skin is the least of your concerns when it comes to eating fruits and veggies doused with Roundup, which may lead to neurodegenerative disease. (4)
- Fill your plate with colorful fresh foods! Organic vegetables, grass-fed meat, healthy fats, and seafood nourish your body inside and out.
- Foods to try to avoid or limit include processed foods, gluten, sugar, dairy, alcohol, and caffeine. A good tip for grocery shopping: Shop the perimeter of the store. That’s where you’ll find the produce, meat, and seafood counters.
Glowing Skin Tips: On the Surface
- Choose Healthy Skincare: With a good skincare regime, makeup becomes less and less “necessary.” Many customers write to us to let us know just how many compliments they receive on their skin when they are wearing the Gold Serum. It gives a serious illuminating glow!
- Soften Up: Cleaning your face is the first step towards truly healthy skin by effectively purging dirt, makeup and environmental pollution. Some professionals swear that your choice of face wash is even more important than your moisturizer! This is because many face wash products are way too harsh, stripping your face of its natural oils.
The Alitura Pearl Cleanser is a universal daily facial cleanser for all skin types. Gentle and soothing, The Pearl Cleanser was designed to calm irritation and remove excess dirt and oil while leaving your skin fresh, radiant and soft as silk.
This creamy cleanser uses an ancient Chinese beauty secret of Pearl Powder, a micro-exfoliator that is packed with calcium and magnesium to immediately brighten and leave your skin smoother. Carefully sourced, cutting edge ingredients such as Marine Collagen, Wildcrafted Tremella Mushroom (nature’s highest source of hyaluronic acid) Organic Panax Ginseng, Colloidal Silver and Organic Green Coffee work to stimulate and “wake up” tired skin cells. (5)
The gentle nature of The Pearl Cleanser makes it a preventative approach for avoiding dry skin, eczema, and psoriasis rather than just treating these issues when they flare up.
- Change Your Pillowcase: Your face spends somewhere around 8 hours touching your face every single night. Whatever products are in your hair, the oils on your skin… all of this rubs off onto your pillowcase. Change it out frequently to give your skin a safe haven each night. (6)
- Wash Your Face Before Bed: You probably touch your face all throughout the day without realizing it. Your hands touch all sorts of surfaces, transferring those germs to your face. Try to avoid touching your face if you can, and remember to cleanse your face before bed to wash off all the dirt, oil, sweat, and bacteria that can cause zits. This tip goes double for anyone wearing makeup!
- Preventative Measures: The Alitura Clay Mask is an “all-in-one” facial treatment that thoroughly purifies the skin at its deepest layers. Perfect for all skin types, this carefully formulated blend of ingredients exfoliates dead skin, reduces pore openings, stimulates blood flow, and encourages growth of new skin cells. The detoxifying properties of carefully formulated Clays draw out impurities and produce porcelain-smooth skin with a radiant glow.
Bonus tips: Be sure to get enough sleep, and avoid getting too stressed out. Your hormones play a big part in your skin health. Physical or emotional stress messes with your hormones, which can lead to breakouts.
Anyone can have beautiful skin if they are willing to put in the work. Remember: your skin is a reflection of your inner health. Take care of your insides and you will reap the benefits of feeling and looking great!